Monday, April 26, 2010

VSN Star Baby Card with a mono twist...

This past weekend held two great scrappin opportunities at Splitcoast... VSN and VSBN were both on the same weekend! Unfortunately, I was sick sick SICK for most of the weekend, so I only got one card done before deadline, but thankfully they allow more time for the scrapbooking challenges so I'll try to get some done during this week!

The challenge I participated in was A - to make a monochromatic baby card. This was perfect timing since my latest nephew was just born last week - baby number 5 for my littlest brother and the 5th baby to be born while he is deployed somewhere else!! This time he was in Afghanastan while baby was being born, but he was able to get the day off and watch via webcam. I have to write to the military and ask them to stop deploying them so they don't end up like the Duggars! Anyway, here's the card I made:


I chose a star theme in honor of daddy's military service. My latest issue of Pat Huntoon's Technique Junkie's Newsletter included this cool technique for monochromatic cards - cutting shapes the same color as the base, embossing them, and then rubbing a little ink over the embossed areas to high light them. The technique is called Mono Dies. Instead of inking mine, I used Core'dinations cardstock, which contains a colored core instead of just a white core, so I sanded the embossed images and got a lighter version of the same color - looks very cool IRL! I glued the shaped down randomly.

The circle is actually a window and the "Baby Boy" (from Cloud 9 stamps) is stamped on the inside of the card in Taken With Teal ink. I used my Nestabilities to cut a slightly smaller circle from the bottom layer than the top to give it a matted appearance, and allowed one of the stars to hang into the peekaboo window - I saw that in my latest issue of Scrapbooks etc. and thought it was sweet.

Across the top of the card is a coordinating piece of patterened paper from Paper Pizzaz, a border punched with a Martha Stewart border punch, a piece of crimped cardstock, and a button sewn onto a slightly darker star which I also embossed and sanded to match the ones below. I decided to tie a bow instead of a knot to go with the baby theme, then attached the button and star with glue dots. Very simple and fun to make - hope they like it!

No comments: