Saturday, April 17, 2010

Some recent ATC's..

I've been involved in multiple ATC swaps recently and again just haven't had time to upload, so wanted to take a minute tonight and start... I'll do some now and some in days to come to fit them all in as I still have an altered book to start tonight...

The first two cards are part of a new swap group I joined called Stampin D'Amour... it's been a great swap so far and all the swappers are very talented!! My card for February has a Mardi Gras theme:

This was such a fun card to make! I started with a layer of striped patterned paper (Spring Swirl from Best Creations) and mounted it on glitter black cardstock. I stamped the white swirls with VersaMark and then heat embossed them with white. Then I stamped the black frame (the stamps were Fancy Pants...) and heat embossed that. I printed the sentiment on purple cardstock and cut it to fit the frame. The fiber on the side is one I've had for a while - I think it came in a kit from BJ's. For the mask I used a downloadable pattern on my QuicKutz silhouette along with some hologram paper I got from WalMart (yeah, I'll shop anywhere for scrapbook goodies!). I added the pearls to the eyes and some old jingle bells to the edge of the mask to finish the card.

The card I made for April's swap is an Easter themed ATC using a digi kit I got from Ten Two Studios - LOVE that store! The design makes a foldable ATC - here is the outside:

And then here is the inside:

I LOVE vintage style and I just thought this was so funny! For the outside, I basically printed the card and added my own embellishments.... some blue flower soft to add texture to the flowers, a blue rhinestone in the middle of the bow, and some green fiber to simulate Easter grass. For the inside, I used clip art included with the kit but then some different background paper I had from Bo Bunny... I thought the colors went together better than what was in the digi kit. I inked all the edges in brown and added a row of rhinestones to the top to finish it off. I hope they liked it as much as I liked making it!

The next swap I was in had a supernatural theme - I love all things supernatural so this one was a blast for me! I'll admit it - I'm a big Twilight fan, so I wanted to do a vampire card, but didn't want to actually do Twilight. So, I searched the internet and found an old image of Lugosi at his best - and I came up with this card:

For the background, I used some Coredinations Black Magic paper, which I embossed in a Cuttlebug folder and then sanded to reveal the colored core. I punched the scallop trip from SEI velvet paper and added some gems from Kaiser. The roses were some old ones I had in stash, and the spider web paper is from Making Memories.

I decided to make a mini Ouija board for the second card:

I was able to download the image right from the Internet; I then cut it out and coated it with a sepia tinted glaze to age it. I cut the little planchet out from brown crinkled paper and inked the edge in gold; Then I added the old ghostly photo, which I also downloaded. Very simple but fun card to do.
The final cards I am sharing today were part of a Simon Says swap on Splitcoast; we each signed up for spots in a group, and then were emailed a list of instructions for the cards. Here is the first card I did, which was for Group 2 in the swap...

For this card, the parameters I received were: to use a cool color for the base (mine is light blue), to have the word stormy be the adjective for the card, to use a new technique (I used the "bleach swipe" technique for the first time... first, I took a piece of Not Quite Navy cardstock from SU and swiped it with bleach, dried it with a heat gun, then swiped and dried again two more times. This particular cardstock turned purple when I bleached it, which was unexpected but I thought very cool... Next, I stamped the SU sanded background stamp on it using Navy ink to pick up what was left of the Navy in the background, and then I sprayed the whole thing with Tattered angels Ocean Mist spray... Then I stamped the Tattered Angels compass over that... very cool technique and the first time I'd tried it. I got it from Pat Huntoon's Technique Junkie newsletter...) , to use a rectangle (my image), to add red (my photo corner), to add a line (part of the sanded background stamp, to add a quote, to put 2, 4, or 6 embellishments on the card (the black crystals), to add something light (the light house), and to add patterned paper (the photo corner again). This was so fun - I loved the new technique I learned, and it was a challenge pulling all the elements together!

Here is the card I made for Group 3:

The elements for this card were to include: primary colored base (the red), the adjective for the card is "clumsy" (from the image and the quote), to use an old technique (I did double resist, which was a technique I learned from use glossy paper, heat emboss a stamp (I used the glitter snowflakes), then stamp again in Versamark without embossing and just brayer over it (that's the flourish and the grey ink ), to use a triangle (I arranged my snowflakes in a triangle on all the cards), to use red (the base again), to stitch something (the sequins and beads are stitched on), to add a quote (this was from the actual Bambi movie), to put 1, 3, or 5 of something on the card (the snowflakes, beads, and seqiuns), to add something dark (the gray ink), and to use a magazine picture (I actually used in internet picture instead because the theme I came up with was very specific!).

Hope you're enjoying your weekend... I had fun today swimming with the kiddoes and now I'm off to work on my first altered book - happy crafting!!

No comments: