Sunday, October 4, 2009

World Card Making Day 1

Belated Happy World Card Making Day! Happily, I had time to make two cards yesterday and am trying to pull off a few more today, so maybe I'll have another post to share later this evening.

I participated in two challenges at Splitcoast Stampers - the first one I chose was the Splitcoast teams challenge to use Chocolate, to followe Beate's sketch, and to give the card a thankful theme. We just got in some stamps from a brand new company in the store, and I immediately thought of one of a new set that fits this challenge, so here's a little sneak peak of one of the new sets from Darcy's that will be revealed tomorrow:
Aren't the pumpkins scrumptious??? The stamps come "prekissed" with the patterns and I think they're just beautiful... Be sure to check the store tomorrow to see this set and the other new sets we got in from Darcy's!! The paper I used was from two stacks from Memory Box, Butterfield and Embrace. The cardstock is SU Dusty Durange and Vanilla, the ink is SU Dusty Durango, Tangerine Tango, Old Olive and Always Artichoke, with Chocolate Chip for the sentiment and leaf, and the button is actually from Basic Grey's Archaic collection. I faux stitched around the image because despite my best attempts I can not figure out how to use the mini sewing machine!! I followed Beate's sketch pretty closely, although I did have to move my sentiment up a little to balance the weight of the card with those pumpkins on the left.
The next challenge I participated in was from Crafty Secrets.... love, love, love their stuff!! I have their French Mail stamp set and thought it would work great with my favorite K & Co paper...
The challenge was to add dimension to your card. I tried to accomplish that by using lots of layers and pop dots, along with some 3-D embellishments. The card base is SU's Bravo Burgandy and then a layer of Vanilla; all the patterned papers are from K & Co's BW Madeline mat pack; I find that if you pick up the mat packs the patterns are generally reduced and perfect for card making. I stamped the sentiment and the eiffel tower from the set directly onto the patterned papers. The postage stamp at the top is actually a Madeline rub-on over some of the patterned paper accented with the tiniest amount of platinum stickles - you can't actually see that in the pic. Over the eiffel tower stamp I used some bird rub-ons, and the patterned paper had the flowers at the bottom of the image piece, so my little cupid mail delivery man looks like he's walking along a flowered path. I stamped the cupid several times to get the shades; his body is stamped on Blush Blossom, his hat, wings, and letters are stamped on scraps of patterned paper from the Madeline pack so they match the card. He's raised on pop dots, so he's dimensional. Then for the heart accent in the lower corner, I cut it out of the patterned paper, cut some of the flowers out and popped them up at three different levels so it is very dimensional, plus added some Kaiser pearl accents. All the pink gem accents are from Zva. I then accented the flower centers, the mail, and the heart the birds are carrying with stickles. I love, love, love this card!! I think because it just uses so many of my favorite things - hope you enjoy it too!
Ok, gotta run - off to try to get a few more challenges done - happy crafting!

No comments: