Monday, February 23, 2009

Monday's MDC Sketch Challenge and a Joy Fold Card

Hello:) Today at the MDC Challenge blog we had a scrapbooking sketch challenge - love those! We used sketch #7 from Julie Bonner's 52 Sketches 52 Weeks blog - Julie has such awesome sketches!




I liked this sketch a lot - mostly because it's definitely different than anything I would have come up with, but it's still kind of organized and symmetrical; I like symmetry and balance when I work! Normally I feel the need to fill up the whole page, but when I think of this particular layout, the simplicity gives greater weight to the photo, so that's really cool.

The paper I used was from this new company we got in at the store, Mark's Paper Company. The bling is from Zva Creative, and the felt butterfly and the little plastic swirl are from American Crafts. The snaps are just some generic brown ones I had. Pretty simple all in all.

This is another page that evolved kind of backwards. I started with the sketch and the paper I wanted to use and then developed that page. I originally thought it was going to be a heritage layout, but midway through it I realized I had a title in mind and that it was a page about my brother. The 15th marked a year since he passed away; it feels so unreal. In some ways I still can't believe it, except for the fact that he's really not here.

So the page is called "I Miss Your Face" and the journaling is very simple: " It's just one of many memories I hold on to. It's been a long damn year. Love you."

I also took time today to complete a card I had started for VSN but couldn't get done in time. The challenge was to use the Joy fold technique, and oddly enough when I printed the tutorial and started cutting I accidentally used the "alternate" directions, so mine is a little different shape than most of the Joy fold technique cards! Only me... lol! Here's my card:





I was happy to use this paper from Imaginisce that I really love, and it's the first time I got to use their new snag 'em stamps from their Twitterpated line. Those little guys are super cute! I chose to paper piece the birdy to make sure he would stand out against the cloud paper background. For the medallion closure, I punched the flower circle from another Imaginisce patterned paper, then added dimension by handcutting another flower and mounting it over the first with pop dots. The little music notes are just hand drawn (not very well - sorry!) Here's a view of the card open:

You can download the Joy fold technique in the resource section at Splitcoast stampers - it was a fun card to make and good for something a little different.

Thanks for stopping in - hope you have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Mia Castrillo said...

Nice take on the sketch, Tam! And that photo is so cute! So sorry to hear about your and Linda's loss.